Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Love on the big screen


Yesterday evening I went to the movies. The film playing was the Golden Globe winning "Atonement". A beautiful and dramatic story on how misunderstandings, misinterpretations, can dramatically change the course of many lives. A beautiful love movie. Lets say it bluntly: it was a romantic movie, interesting, but with all the usual clichés. Nothing unexpected took my breath away. It was well directed, well preformed, an entrapping story even. I liked the movie. But did not love it! When we got home latter in the evening we started debating our opinions... We both agreed: it was a good, but romantic, movie. So the point was: this romantic movie was just too romantic for our taste! Where we being too critical? Too cynical maybe? Was I being too cynical about romance? Am I too cynical about love? I was than asked to name one movie - just one - that would be my all times favorite romantic movie, and to my astonishments it couldn't come any to my mind at that point! That was it... I blocked completely... I'm just not romantic! It is not in my blood! I'm insensitive to the beauty of romance!!!! But how could that be?!?!

Fortunately today it came to my mind!!!!! I'm not a monster! I'm not completely insensitive to Love!!!!!
I'm not sure if this would be my all times favorite romantic movie (simply because usually I'm not that crazy about movies traditionally labeled as "Romantic" and alse because I might have a more broad yet questionable views on romance...), but The Pillow Book by Peter Greenaway is certainly a movie about Love and is certainly one of the best, most poetic, movies ever shot!!!! If you have the oportunity don't miss it, even though I must warn you in advanced it might not be for everyone (as any Peter Greenaway movie). Here's just a video to give you an idea of what you can expect.

7 comments:

Me said...

I'll see it, deal!

here's my two cents

'are your thoughts based on fear or love?' Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1CvW38cHA&feature=related

Menina Azul Reciclada said...

You are one of the persons I'm sure will like it! :)

Sara said...

Pois, eu tambem nao gostei do filme e exactamente porque nao e suposto ser uma historia romantica. E como tu dizes, a historia e mais sobre como determinados eventos mudam o curso das nossas vidas... Eu tinha lido o livro por isso fiquei super desapontada... Vou tentar ver o Pillow Book.
Olha, beijinhos, gostei das fotos, beijinhos para as modelso tambem!!

Menina Azul Reciclada said...

Pois, Sara, mas o romance de cordel parece que vende melhor... por isso levas com uma historinha de amor banal, em que somos manipulados a sentir pena dos protagonistas da historia de amor e a odiar a rapariguinha loira... ao inves de sair da sala de cinema com a take home message de que os nossos actos e decisoes podem ter um impacto tremendo na vida de outrem... Eu sai do cinema com mais pena da rapariga loira que outra coisa qualquer...

∫nês said...

Vê o filme ONCE.
Para além de romantico sem ser com clihcés está cheio de música espectacular. Tenho a certeza que vais adorar, pois é mesmo ao estilo de Damien Rice.

Anonymous said...

brilliant

Princess Sissi said...

That was me who find it brilliant!